“Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, and put me to the test” says the Lord of Hosts, “if I will not open the windows of heaven over you and pour you out a blessing so large you cannot contain it all. I will rebuke the devourer for your sake and the vine in the field will not fail to bear says the Lord of Hosts." Malachi 3: 10,11
Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.
The word "tithe" simply means "tenth," and as it is used in the Bible, it refers to returning a "tenth" of ones income to God.
Our text in Malachi tells us that when we return a faithful tithe we will receive God’s abundant blessings. Ken Blanchard, the author of The One Minute Manager, said, “I absolutely believe in the Power of Tithing and giving back. My own experience about all the blessings I’ve had in my life is that the more I give away, the more comes back. That is the way life works, and that is the way energy works.”
I recently read an article suggesting the benefits of tithing, I would like to share them with you.
1. God is pleased by your obedience. Malachi 3:10 Regular giving is a sign of obedience to Christ. We prove our lover for Christ by obeying his commands.
2. God is honored by your faithfulness. Proverbs 3:9 He deserves our faithfulness.
3. Tithing helps to keep your priorities straight. Matthew 6:21 I believe that giving to the Lord is the number one priority for a believer.
4. You are eligible for a blessing. Malachi 3:10 But remember, the blessing is not always monetary – God has not promised “health and wealth” to the Christian. The believer is to be content in whatever state he is placed and God has promised to shield us from trials that we are not strong enough to face.
5. Guards Christians from selfishness. Acts 20:35 Tithing reminds us that ultimately our money does not belong to us.
6. God loves a cheerful giver. II Corinthians 9:6-12 Are you excited about the opportunity to serve God with your finances?
7. Tithing supports the Great Commission. Matthew 28:19,20 Your tithe should go to your local church and God has chosen to work through the church during this ages.
8. Tithing ensures that your needs will be met. Matthew 6:33 God has promised that our needs will be met. Needs – but not necessarily “wants”.
9. Tithing helps to meet the needs of God’s people. I Corinthians 16:1,2 Hopefully your church seeks to use at least a portion of its budget to help those less fortunate.
10. Tithing reminds us that God is the true owner and giver of all that we have. I Timothy 6:17,18 All we have belongs to God and the tithe helps to remind us of this fact.
Today, I invite you to experience the blessings of God on your life.